Student Success Specialist, Sr. (ReqID 19669)
Apply by June 15, 2022 for Best Consideration
American Indian Student Services (AISS) is searching for a Student Success Specialist, Sr to direct the American Indian Summer Bridge Program and join a team of professionals dedicated to supporting the University’s enrollment, retention and graduation goals. Developing and implementing in-person student support services centered on student needs for successfully navigating and succeeding in a university environment is a core element of the position’s function. Coordinating college transition initiatives, student mentorship programs, leadership development opportunities; and providing comprehensive academic advisement & student support services in addition to the delivery of appropriate and pertinent academic plans for American Indian students attending the University of New Mexico-Main Campus are primary duties and responsibilities of the position. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating programs and student support initiatives for current UNM-Main Campus students; students transferring from UNM branch campus sites, community colleges, tribal colleges, and other colleges or universities; and new admits. Dedication to student academic, personal, cultural, and social success; advanced oral and written skills; networking expertise; and demonstrated experience collaborating and interacting with diverse constituents and various tribal governments, higher education programs, and entities specific to American Indian constituents are critical facets of the position.
The individual selected for this position will:
- Direct and execute all operations components of the American Indian Summer Bridge (AISB) Program.
- Co-coordinate and implement all organizational components of AISS programs (AISS Ambassador Program, FAFSA-4-U, American Indian Convocation) including but not limited to: student recruitment & outreach efforts; student engagement, curriculum development, program design/planning, staff training, and facilities planning.
- Provide & coordinate comprehensive academic advising, financial aid & scholarship guidance career counseling, and student support services for prospective, new, and current undergraduate students.
- Coordinate academic intervention and retention activities and programming and serve as a student advocate.
- Implement knowledge of academic standards regarding probation and suspension processes & procedures to meet individual student needs.
- Oversee and coordinate the collection, maintenance, and analysis of program activity data; and develop, write, and present comprehensive statistical and narrative program reports and evaluations.
- Organize and participate in areas of complex project, operations, and/or events.
- Coordinate and serve as an active participant in a variety of department/division-specific and university-wide student programming initiatives.
Bachelor's degree; at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Coordinating 1st-year college residential and transition programs, mentor-ship efforts, student leadership & retention initiatives.
- Designing & planning student-centered programs, including but not limited to: curriculum development, staff training, and facilities/logistics coordination.
- Advising and providing consultation for a diverse student population.
- Developing online and/or hybrid student engagement programming.
- Evaluating academic records and formal documents and interpreting department, college, and university academic requirements for degree-granting programs.
- Providing federal financial aid and institutional, departmental, private, and tribal scholarship advisement.
- Generating & developing reports, spreadsheets, and databases: and maintaining program/project records and statistical information utilizing Excel, Access, Hyperion, MyReports and Banner.
- Creating design sets and copy for print publications/digital & web-based communication/social media platforms utilizing Adobe Creative applications: Illustrator, InDesign, Creative Cloud Express (formerly Spark), and PhotoShop.
- Working on a team and/or in a collaborative work-setting, multi-tasking and creative problem-solving and working in a high-traffic customer service environment.
- Effectively communicating and interacting with various tribal governments, organizations, higher education programs; and a wide range of individuals representing diverse communities.
- Conducting recruitment & outreach activities and other student support service related projects/programs in partnership with various campus advising departments.